You’ve probably read more then your fair share of these kind of goal/resolution orientated posts since the holiday season has departed and a new year is upon us, so why not throw another one into the mix?
2015 was one of the hardest but also most rewarding years for me and I wouldn’t change it for anything. I’ve learnt so much about myself and I’m a hell of a lot stronger then what I thought.
It’s taken me a while to write this post as I really wanted to have a list of achievable goals that I can work towards throughout the year, both blog related and in my personal life. It’s also something I can refer back to when I feel like I’m slipping off the bandwagon and need a little boost to remember what I’m working towards, so I guess this is more of a personal post then one for the masses. This is the year to better myself and to ultimately live a happier life.
1. I feel incredibly lucky to be able to say that I love my job and the industry that I work in. I’m a makeup artist and although it’s an incredibly competitive industry to work in (and at times I seriously question what the bloody hell I’m doing) I couldn’t imagine doing anything else. My aim for this year is to re-fresh my portfolio by working with fellow creatives and to start taking on more freelance jobs. Playing around with makeup is so much fun and I need to appreciate it more.
2. I started blogging back in 2010 and we’ve had a bit of a rocky road, but now that I’m back with the new site and creating content that I’m actually happy with I’ve fallen back in love with blogging and the community that comes with it. I’ve met some pretty cool people and attended events, both of which I would like to do more of this year. I will also be sticking to a schedule and posting every Sunday. This will give the blog more structure and hopefully that structure will role into everyday life, cos I need some of that.
3. Along with launching a new site last year I uploaded a video to YouTube on a complete whim and actually quite liked the end result. After having a creative block for what felt like forever, it was so good to just pick up some paints and do something. I recorded what I did, edited it and went back and forth about whether or not I should post it and I’m so glad I did and it’s something I will be doing more of. So expect some Youtube videos to be coming your way. You can check out my first video on how to create The Galaxy Face because you never know when you’d need to rock this look.
4. 2015 will always be a special year for me as it was the first time I travelled alone. I booked a trip to Copenhagen and pretty much left everything to the last minute and winged the entire trip. I had the best time and saw some of the most beautiful places such as Frederiksborg Castle. If you’re planning a trip to Copenhagen or thinking about it, check out The Copenhagen Guide where I’ve gathered some places worth visiting and eating at during your stay or just check out the pretty pictures of a place that’s stolen my heart. So my aim for 2016 is to see more of our beautiful planet and I’m working my way through my new favourite book The New York Times: 36 Hours, 125 Weekends in Europe to source out my next destination.
5. Something I need to remember this year is that IT’S OK TO NOT BE OK, I think that’s something we can all forget from time to time. We aren’t machines that have to be focused and ‘ON’ every minute of the day. So if I need to take a day to just chill out and do nothing then I should, without this feeling of guilt that I should be doing something more productive with my time or posting on social media to show the world how much of a good time I’m having. So this year my goal is to not feel shit on days when I don’t do anything but if I do feel like that then that’s totally ok too- we all need some down time.
Thank you 2015 for allowing me to feel pain, nervousness, excitement, joy and a whole bunch of other emotions I cannot put into words and above all else giving me the strength to carry on, to learn to love myself and be completely happy with the person I am today. You were fabulous and I can’t wait to see what 2016 has to offer.
I’d love to know what goals you’ve set yourself so pop a couple of them in the comments below and happy 2016.